PE Key Information
Welcome to the PE and school sport section of our website. We believe that a high-quality and well-designed PE curriculum inspires pupils to succeed in competitive sports and other physically-demanding activities. Pupils, staff, parents and carers know how important physical activity and education is to us at Birchwood Grove, and we have a proud tradition of sports at the school. We understand how physical activity can directly impact on developing a healthy and active lifestyle. Birchwood Grove believes an active lifestyle can have a direct, positive impact on pupils’ mental health and emotional well-being.
Our PE Aims
Our curriculum is designed to ensure that all pupils are able to:
* Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
* Are physically active for sustained periods of time
* Engage in a range of competitive and sporting activities
* Lead healthy, active lives
Our Vision Statement
'For our children to have an appreciation and enjoyment for a range of sports and the willingness to experience them whilst showing sportsmanship and respect at all times, as well as understanding why physical activity is important for our health and well-being.'
Please click here for an overview of our PE curriculum for Year 1 – Year 6.
Our end of KS2 Swimming Attainment
For our most recent cohort of children who left Birchwood Grove in July 2021, 69% of them achieved their end of key stage target – swimming 25 metres over deeper water and having an understanding of a water rescue. For the cohort of children who left in July 2020, this figure was 73%.
Sports Premium report for Birchwood Grove
The Sport Premium is an allocation of additional funding from the Department for Education, given to every school with primary age children to support the development of Physical Education, School Sport and Competition. This money is ring-fenced and is due to be provided for the next two academic years.
All schools are required to report on the amount of funding received and how this is being used, as well as the impact this is having on pupils.
Our Kite Mark status
In recognition of the school's commitment to supporting pupils with sporting achievements and participation, Birchwood Grove was awarded the platinum standard kitemark for the year 2017-18. Mid Sussex was the highest performing county in terms of gold awards in the country and, in order to obtain this award, we were required to show that:
- more than 50% of KS2 pupils took part in extra curricular sport.
- a 'Sports Crew', made up of 32 pupils, was created to plan and lead sporting opportunities for younger pupils.
- more than 2 hours of curriculum PE was provided to pupils each week.
- A, B and C teams competed in a variety of inter-school sports.
- coaches from the local community and beyond were engaged to deliver high-quality sessions to pupils.
- gifted sports people were supported at elite level to fulfil their potential.
We are delighted that the hard work of staff has been recognised in this way and will strive to continue to engage pupils in high quality sporting opportunities.